Saturday, March 9, 2013

Today was an exciting day. Along with the bees and the chickens, I was thinking my little garden (mini farm) could use a mini horse and a mini goat. While looking on Craigslist for my minis - I came across halfpinthorses.com. The mission of Half Pint Horses is to promote mental and physical healing, therapy, and education through interaction with miniature horses. Today was the first meeting!

I am anxious to work with these wonderful people. They have experience with hospice, working with horses, nursing homes, and are just a great group of enthusiastic volunteers.

 As soon as the snow melts it will be time to begin the training. I am so excited. As you know, this blog is dedicated to my dad. He loved horses and everything that had to do with farming. As a boy he spent time on the farms of his relatives. We always dreamed of owning a farm or wildlife sanctuary together. I thought working with the horses and volunteering would teach me about horses while doing something wonderful for others. Imagine the faces of the seniors in a care facility when a mini horse walks in! Or children in a library listening to story about a horse with a horse actually in the library! I am really excited about this new adventure.

The chickens are still laying eggs. They look anxious to get out and run around the yard again. It is too cold and wet to check on the bees today. Tomorrow will be time to check out the seed books and work on the plan for Dad's Garden.

Dad; the little boy holding the chicken, my Grandpa Riley, and Auntie Alice; bravely touching the Billy Goat. Farming is in my blood : )

No comments:

Post a Comment