Sunday, March 10, 2013

Planning Dad's Garden

This spring we will be moving the plants from dad and mom's yard to a special garden in honor of dad in my yard. My dad spent many hours each day tending to his garden. Mom just needs the yard to be easier for her to maintain.

I want the garden to reflect the plants that he loved. I have the dahlia bulbs that he dug up last fall. I have hens and chicks from his garden. I have seeds that he collected. There were so many plants in his back yard that he often couldn't come up with the name right away and he would say "gosh, I know it better than my own name" and then he would come up with the name a few plants later.

Today I was able to thumb through the book where dad recorded his garden planning. He had the yard marked off into areas and had the plants numbered and what area he was going to put them in. He had receipts, packages, and tags from the flowers he planted. Most of the receipts and tags were from 2005-2007. I think many of the plants had moved into different areas over the years!

It will be fun to match the plants with the tags. He carefully wrote in the book-next to the pictures or the tags-the light, height, and spread of the plants. What a treasure to look through! If I can't find the plants in his yard I can at least try to buy them again so I have the plants that he liked!!

I have lots of planning to do...and still haven't picked out the seeds for the vegetable garden. That will now be tomorrow's project. Oh, and with the melting snow...I should have gotten ducks instead of chickens. Mike had to bail water out of the chicken coop!

A picture of dad's portfolio....too darn cute! I guess I know where I got my talents from. This is my kind of book.


No comments:

Post a Comment