Friday, March 15, 2013

Fairy Gardens

Wouldn't you love to live in this miniature place?

In yesterday's post I talked about the Fairy Gardens at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. The display is called "Tiny Treasures: Fairies and Gnomes." These are miniature indoor gardens but you could do similar plantings outside too. I was thinking this would be fun outdoors with a garden train running through it. The display will be at the Arboretum through the end of March.

Miniature Toadstool house and paths
Tiny Treasures: Fairies and Gnomes 2013
Miniature gardening is like life-sized gardening but it is shrunken to a smaller scale. Dwarf and miniature trees are used. Dwarf plants grow 1 to 6 inches per year. Miniature plants grow less than 1 inch per year. Slow growing ground covers or miniature bedding plants are matched with the trees for similar light, water, and placement requirements.

There are also in-scale accessories that can be added to the plantings to make a mini garden scene. When the right plants are selected, it is possible to create a sustainable miniature garden!

Pretty Fairy in a little garden 2013
It is important to decide if you will keep your garden inside or outside and then chose the plants accordingly. You will also want to start out with potting soil if you are planning on keeping your garden in a pot. Your pot will also need a drainage hole. An outdoor fairy garden can be any size you want it to be. You can hide it amongst some hostas, or at the base of a tree, or under a bird bath.

The prince is coming for his maiden

Last year I went to the Arboretum with my dad to visit the Fairy garden display to get our gardening fix. He enjoyed seeing these Fairy Gardens and visiting the Arboretum. It was right after his cancer diagnosis. It brought tears to my eyes to see these miniature gardens again--without dad.

A little house for the fairies
People for years have been intrigued by the idea that fairies and elves might live among us. They are said to have the power to spread magic and mischief though out our homes and gardens. My friend Jeannie-a mischief herself- had asked me to share the pictures I had taken of the fairy gardens.  Jeannie's husband was recently diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer. I am praying that the garden fairies sprinkle some magic on Bob and with all of our prayers and great medical care--Bob will hear good news at his next appointment. Love you Jeannie!

If you want more information on miniature gardens check these websites out:

Tonkadale Greenhouse They have some great pictures of outdoor fairy gardens
Summers Past Farms Super cute outdoor fairy gardens
Bachmans They sell miniature plants and accessories

I hope you enjoyed these! 

2 comments:

  1. Kathi...let me get a kleenex first. That brought tears to my eyes, and I can't see the keyboard. I am collecting stuff for a fairy garden at the lake. I can't wait to plant it. I also bought two fairy doors...one to put on the outside of the house, and one to put up in the bedroom at the lake, where little ones will sleep. Have you ever read the Borrowers? It would be a great book to read to your grandkids. Maggie loved the Borrowers when she was growing up, she probably still does. Another, book that your older grandkids might like is My Side of the Mountain. I have read it so many times, and given it as gifts for years. It is THE book that I read as a child, that made me fall in love with nature and birds. Thanks again for the pictures. Rose Floral here in town has a lot of fairy stuff as well. I am loving your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Ann I am glad you liked it. I can't wait to see your Fairy Garden! I vaguely remember reading My Side of the Mountain...I will have to read it again. I am always looking for good children's books so I will have to check out the Borrowers too!
      Isn't there great joy to be found in nature-birds, flowers, and any kind of animal!
      My mom use to read a book called Suzy the Squirrel to us. This squirrel lived in a cute little treehouse with miniature everything-I always wanted to be miniature myself and visit Suzy's treehouse!

      Delete