Friday, March 8, 2013

The beginning of Honey Girl Garden

This is the beginning of Honey Girl Garden. As the name suggests-I am a bee keeper. Or rather...I am a bee keeper wanna be(e). I set up my first hive last summer. After a couple of disasters...my bees made it through the summer!  More on that later.....  I am anxiously awaiting a warm day so that I can uncover the hive and reveal whether or not my bees made it through the winter!

Honey Girl is also a term of endearment that my dad and mom would lovingly call me and my sisters. My dad passed away this Christmas Eve (2012) from liver cancer. My dad was the person in my life that always encouraged my crazy ideas. He instilled in me the love for nature, animals, travel, and we shared our love of gardening. Mom gave me the confidence to do whatever I wanted to do in life.

This spring is going to be tough. Watching the birds return. Seeing the plants emerge-especially the grape hyacinths that my dad loved. Planting the seeds I saved from the Hubbard squash and the pumpkins he grew. Replanting his Dahlia bulbs. There will be both heartfelt joy and gut wrenching sadness.

So-this blog is dedicated to my dad who I miss so much. He lives on in all of the things that he loved. As he said to me, "I will be in your heart forever." You are Pops...and this blog is for you!

1 comment:

  1. Just added your blog to my list...have fun with the blog, mine gives me a place to keep track of my journey. It will give you a place to write about and share memories.

    ReplyDelete